Sunday, January 4, 2009

Yummy White Bread

So I have turned my family into Bread snobs.. And I'm not sure I like it... Since I now have to make bread ALL the time.. But who wants to go back to store bought when you can have home made bread right?
This is one I found that I thought was both simple and tasted pretty good. This is a good white bread. Pretty light and fluffy.






3 Cups of Warm Water (105-110 degrees)
1-1/2 TBS of Yeast.
1/3 C. of Sugar
Mix together and let stand for about 5 min till yeast foams.
Add:1/3 Cup melted Butter or shortening.
1 Heaping Tablespoon of Salt ( I've done 1-1/2Tbs.. and think it works out pretty good.)
5-6cups of Flour ( start and 4 and see what your dough looks like.. you want pretty soft and a little sticky looking. you will add more flour when your knead it.)
Turn over in a large GREASED bowl, Cover and let raise for about an hour.
Flip out and a WELL FLOURED surface and Knead for about 5 min. ( add more flour if your dough is still pretty sticky and knead it in.)

Cut dough in 1/2 ( makes 2 loaves.)

Roll out in a square ( not quite 13x9 size)
And roll up to fit in a 9 in bread pan. ( grease your pan!)
Cover,Let rise for another hour.
Bake at 350 degrees. for about 30 min.
If you like a softer crust, Brush with melted butter as soon as they get out of the oven.
Move to a cooling rack.

No comments: