Thursday, November 20, 2008

Vanilla Bean Cheesecake

Alright, my husband had pressured me enough that I finally cracked and found a recipe for a Vanilla Bean Cheese cake.. On our all too Rare date nights we hit up T.G.I.F's for dessert which is the cheesecake factory Vanilla Bean Cheesecake.. I am not a big cheesecake fan.. But this one is light and airy and not just straight up cheesecake.( cheese cake texture overload makes me gag.. even if it has good flavor.)

Paul LLLOOOVVVEEESSS cake. ( inside story.. saving for another day.) So after being badgered to death I cracked and found a clone recipe off the Web. I am making it for Thanksgiving.. But wanted to make sure it worked out.. This was my very first ever attempt at Cheese cake.. and It got a 2 thumbs up.. and was soo very close to the Orig. I made one boo-boo.. but it was still Devinne. And it wasn't as hard as it looked.. Time consuming.. yes.. but not hard. So I must share.( p.s these are my pics. of my delec. creation.)




( Once a year or you'll weigh a million pounds.)
Vanilla Bean Cheesecake

Crust:
1 1/2C. Crushed Graham crackers crumbs

1/3 C. Sugar

1 egg yolk beaten

1/4 tsp. Vanilla

1/2 C. Butter Melted

Crush Graham crackers.mix in the sugar. Add the egg yolk and Vanilla. Stir in melted butter. press into a Spring form Pan. ( I used a 9 1/2 pan.. But thinking about going up to the 10' next time.) Push graham cracker crust up the sides if you like crust.( I used the bottom of a flat measuring cup that worked perfectly.)


Bake at 350 degrees.. for 8 min.. Let cool




CHEESECAKE:

16 oz. of cream cheese. ( MAKE SURE IT IS ABOUT ROOM TEMP. . OR you will get little clumps .. trust me on this one.)

1 C. sour cream

2 TBS. corn starch

1 C. Sugar.

2 TBS. butter, softened

1/2 tsp. vanilla

Vanilla Beans from One Pod*

Combine Cream cheese, sour cream, cornstarch, and sugar, mix until sugar is dissolved. Add butter, vanilla and Beans . Beat until smooth, Don't over mix.


bake @350 for 30-35 min Cool about 1-2 hours.




WHITE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE:

1 cup whipping cream.( I might go up another 1/2 cup on this.)

2 TBS. of powdered sugar

4 oz. cream cheese. SOFTENED.

4 oz, of white chocolate baking squares melted.


In a COLD mixing bowl beat cream until SOFT peaks form Gradually add powdered sugar until STIFF peaks from. Put this in a bowls in the fridge. DON'T wash your mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese in it, beat until Fluffy. Add the white chocolate and beat until smooth.

FOLD in the whipping cream.( put back in the fridge till ready for the cooled cheesecake.)


Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream:

1 Cup whipping cream( I did 2 cups.. I like whipped cream and nothing wrong with left overs.)

3 Tbs powdered sugar. ( it called for one.. it just wasn't sweet enough. so go off taste.)
Beans from one Vanilla Bean Pod*.


In cold mixing bowl, beat whipping cream until soft peaks form. Gradually add powdered sugar and then vanilla beans beating until stiff peaks form..( Refridgerate till your ready for it.)


After your cheese cake has cooled completely. ( important) Spread the entire mix of W.Chocolate Mousse over the top. Then add the V.B whipped cream evenly over the top. ( feel free to be decorative here..)

Shave 1-2 white chocolate bars and sprinkle on top. I refrigerated mine for another 2-3 hours before serving.


* Vanilla Beans Pods. can be found at a kitchen specialty store. (I.E. kitchen kneads. Loves to cook. etc. etc.) They are expensive, I paid $4 per pod. What you will do is take a knife and slit it right down the middle Length wise. Stretch open the pod. and Scrap all the "seeds from the insides.( I swear I was treating it like I was measuring Cocaine.. I was not wasting a thing..) They look like super tiny.. coffee grinds. And a bit sticky.
After your are done scraping seed. DO NOT throw away the pods. They have a tone of flavor in them.. Use them to make a syrup.. add to your sugar canister for a vanilla sugar flavor.. Boil them with your tea/cocoa/etc... ( get your money worth from these baby's!)

I know this recipe looks complicated.. It's not as bad as it looks.. It's worth the time spent. If you have a Kitchen aid or Bosch it will be easier for you.. IF not.. it will just take a bit longer to whip things is all.


Time Spent from Start to in the "fridge to chill.."( 5 1/2 hours) But a lot of that was waiting for the cake to cool. ( make it a day in advance and your good to go.)




1 comment:

jess said...

dude i am totally impressed. and even MORE impressed that you used real vanilla beans! good for you!!

i have a pumpkin cheesecake recipe that is to DIE for. i'll post it soon.