Monday, October 6, 2008

Clam Chowder


This was one of my favorite cold weather foods. I had while growing up.

2-3 Cans of chopped clams*
1C. fine chopped onions.
1C. Celery
2C. potatoes

* Pour juice from clams over veggies. Add just enough water to cover & simmer for 20 min.
DO NOT ADD THE CLAMS YET. just the juice.

WHITE SAUCE
combine in a seperate sauce pan:
3/4 C. Butter
3/4 C. flour
1qt. half &half
1-1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp of sugar
1/2 tsp of Pepper.
Whisk every step to ensure no lumps bring to a boil until thickens.

ADD:
white sauce to pot of veggies
and finally the clams( you don't want to boil clams because they go rubbery that is why I add at the very end. And just heat them through.)

I like to serve this in a bread bowl.Yum!

Credit goes to : my mom again she made this quite a bit. I always loved clam chowder days.

No comments: